Trial: Surveillance of embankment dams – routine inspections
This course will introduce you to how to correctly and regularly conduct routine inspections of embankment dams to prevent incidents, events and failures.
You will learn:
- why dam safety is important
- about different types of embankment dams and the conditions that may cause them to fail
- how to plan and prepare for routine visual embankment dam inspections
- how to conduct an inspection including reading dam instrumentation
- how to assess and record the condition of embankment dams and evaluate results and observations
- what action to take to complete an inspection
- the inspector’s role and the dam emergency management plan
The course is aimed at anyone responsible for conducting routine inspections of embankment dams in NSW, but is particularly focused on embankment dams that have been declared by Dams Safety NSW. Declared dams are those that pose a potential risk to life downstream, infrastructure, and/or the environment.